In retrospect, it’s kind of shocking. I mean, I’d heard of Nutella and seen a commercial or two, but I couldn’t wrap my mind around slathering chocolate on bread. Don’t get me wrong, I love chocolate and I can eat my weight in baguettes, no problem, but a chocolate sandwich just seemed gross and, frankly, un-American. To me, eating such an insane combination felt like cheating on good ole peanut butter and jelly. When I confessed my big secret–that I’d never EVER tried Nutella–my friend Vanessa, appalled and concerned, bestowed upon me a tub of Nutella the size of a baby walrus.
That day, I had my first Nutella experience: baked stuffed bananas loaded with peanut butter, chocolate chips, and a dollop of Nutella. It only took one bite to realize I’d been robbing myself of intense palate pleasure for the better part of three decades. Since that moment, I’ve been making up for lost time and searching for things to slather with the unworldly chocolate hazelnut spread. For the record, I checked the ingredients list and chocolate-candy-crack isn’t listed—just hazelnuts, skim milk, sugar, and cocoa. Nutella doesn’t even have artificial flavors or preservatives.
It tastes too good to be true.
Things to slather and sandwich with Nutella:
- rice cakes
- ice cream
- any bread or pastry
- graham crackers
- peanut butter puffins
- grilled Banana & Nutella sandwich
- my fingers
- Nutella smores
- rice krispie treats
- peanut butter sandwich cookies
- Greek yogurt
- ritz crackers
- pound cake
- chex mix
Nutella Recipes to try ASAP:
- Nutella Cake with Chocolate Hazelnut Ganache from The Kitchn
- 4 Ingredient Nutella Brownies from Savory Sweet Life
- Nutella Bread from The Italian Dish
- No-Bake Nutter Butter Nutella Pie from Lauren’s Latest
- Nutella and Peanut Butter Bars from Sugar Laws
- Flourless Nutella cake from Under the Tuscan Gun
- 3 ingredient Nutella Doughnuts from Lauren’s Latest
- Nutella Cheesecake with Goat Cheese from Stylish, Stealthy, and Healthy
What’s your favorite way to eat Nutella?